Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Better, but worse

So at least Leo's fever seems to be under control, which is a good sign that they've controlled the infection. But unfortunately, his blood counts have gone down. So his WBC is now at 1.2. They're pretty sure now that his mom's stem cells have expired. This was sooner than expected, likely because of the RSV virus that he had the other week. Now their hopes are that the cord blood will kick in and start bringing up his counts again, but it doesn't seem like it will be anytime soon. At the earliest, the doctors have said he may be able to go home next week sometime. His days are pretty uneventful here in the hospital, basically getting his medication and antibiotics and just being closely monitored. He's still fairly transfusion dependent, so I'm back to donating platelets for him now that I'm off the antibiotics for my tooth. (My tooth is ok, btw, it's just weird that I now have this gap in the back of my mouth where a molar used to be.) So if anyone can come by this or early next week to donate platelets, that would be great!

2 comments:

  1. We are sending HUGE hugs to you and your entire family! Leo~ we miss you!!! Eat your tinola and take care! Bernadette~ thank you so much for sharing your updates.
    "The Girls" at CCC/Sherman: Marietta, Cheri, Frances, Lisa, Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wish the girls could see their daddy more. Speaking as a dad myself I am praying your husband gets better. I'm a dedicated reader of your blog, Bernadette.

    Anonymous

    ReplyDelete