Saturday, December 19, 2009

The fight is over.

Leo's fight with Leukemia ended this morning around 10am. The last week has been horrible for him. They were able to control the bleeding, but were not able to drain the fluid that was collecting in his lungs, so he was having a more and more difficult time breathing. He was going back and forth from the ICU whenever his heart rate would increase. On Friday morning, I got a call from one of the doctors on Leo's oncology team saying that his heart rate was really high again and his breathing was very labored. I made an attempt to rush to the hospital, but was stuck in downtown traffic. Thanks so much to Fevin for giving me the advice to ride on the shoulder with my hazards on, as this got me through the worst part of traffic. As I was waiting in traffic, his doctor called again and said they couldn't control his heart rate and breathing pattern, and he was estimating that Leo had 24 hours to live. He was about correct, as this was around noon on Friday.

We are so lucky to have such wonderful friends and family that showed up to the hospital that night. Leo was on the bi-pap machine but on some morphine to make him comfortable. So many friends and family came by that night to see Leo and have some final words with him. He was still responsive to people as they spoke inhis ear. His eyes still opened as they heard familiar voices. We took over the entire 6th floor at the hospital. Thank you so much to everyone and I know that Leo appreciated seeing everyone for one last time. He saw the girls and smiled at them all and the girls all said their goodbyes to their dad in their own way. Most stayed until around 2 that morning and a few of us stayed the night. Around 9:30 in the morning, his doctor spoke with me and said that the oxygen machine was not helping him anymore and we could take the mask off at anytime, but that he would be gone soon after. We stopped the machine around 9:40 and he was gone around 9:45. It was horribly difficult in ways I cannot explain, but Leo was ready to go and was just so exhausted. He is finally at peace.

We are making arrangements for a wake for this Monday and Tuesday and a funeral mass on Wednesday, but we're still confirming plans. I will post the arrangements at some point tomorrow. Thanks so much to everyone for your calls, texts and IM's. I can't respond to you all now at this point, but know that all your kind words will help me and the girls through this difficult time. I hope to see most of you in the next week to pay your final respects to my wonderful husband. Take care and I love you all.

11 comments:

  1. you are one amazing wife, mother, woman. My many prayers and hugs to you and your girls. May Leo rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leo was an amazing man-so full of life and love for everybody. His laughter would fill the room and his smile the hearts of all that he touched. He will be deeply missed.
    God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our deepest condolences go out to you and your family. Jun is at peace now and will no longer be in pain. May he enternally rest in peace and let perpetual light shine upon him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our prayers and deepest sympathy to your family. We are deeply saddened by the news of his passing and pass along strength and encouragement to you and your beautiful girls. Leo was a good man, may he rest in peace. Please call if we can help in any way. The Jones'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I only met you and your family for a short time when we visited Chicago, I was profoundly impressed with your courage and love. I promise you that I will try even harder to find ways to beat cancer and to support my patients and their families. May Leo rest in peace. - Cecilia Choi, sister-in-law of Sunny Choi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bernadette,
    Our prayers go out to you and your family. Please give our love to the girls and parents. Please give a special hug to Leo's Papa. We will miss him terribly. We will never forget that amazing smile. Cheri, Marietta, Lisa Frances, & Sally

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are praying for you and the girls...We still do not know how you do what you do. We are all blessed to have known Leo and his humor!!! We love you all and will see you soon....

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are not words to express how sorry we are for you right now. I know that there is little we can do or say to console you but please know that our thoughts are with you and your girls.
    Andy & Steph

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Bernadette,
    I stand incredibly amazed by your tenacity, persistence, unwavering devotion, unbendable strength, relentless courage, and love that is beyond words.
    Leo was one awesome and loving guy. His sense of humor is unforgettable. The few times I was over at your place, I remember my stomach hurting from laughing too much. He was indeed a wonderful guy.
    In times like this, there isn't much anyone could say to take the pain away. I don't know much but one thing I know that you and the girls are in the precious hands of God. I pray that these words from the Bible will bring you some comfort:
    "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze."--Isaiah 43:verse 2.

    You are in my thoughts and prayers.
    With lots of love,
    gigi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our prayers and deepest sympathies go out to you and your family. May Leo rest in peace.
    Love,
    The Venetos family

    ReplyDelete
  11. My deepest condolences go out to you and your family Bernadette.
    Hugs from Sirina in Sweden

    ReplyDelete