Sunday, February 15, 2009

Back to waiting

So last we heard from U of C as of Friday evening was that it was a go and we would use Leo's dad as the donor. We got a message Friday at midnight saying that we can no longer use his dad. I don't even know if I am explaining it right, but they found these kerosytes (sp?!) in his dad's blood that basically hinder or prevent the production of white blood cells. So if this blood were to go into Leo, it would worsen his condition. If someone has a better explanation for this, please feel free to share. What's so frustrating is that they should have just told us that there were still looking at something from the test results, rather than put everything else in motion, from Leo's dad getting his pre-transplant drugs, to Leo getting his admission date and home health care in place, etc. But they did all that and THEN told us that his dad would not be able to donate. So frustrating. I am not in the medical field. So maybe I just don't understand, but it just sucks because we just want to get it over with. So anyway...that being said, they are now going persue using Leo's mom instead. They have already determined that she is a half match as well. So it's basically back to square one. They have to do a full set of physicals to determine whether or not she is suitable to donate. So we are going to the doctor tomorrow. So I guess updates to follow.

On the marrow drive front, I think most of you know that I suspended any further drives for now, given Leo's condition and everything that's going on. I'm very lucky to have wonderful family and friends who are still working towards the cause. Today, my cousins in LA held a Hope4Leo drive at their church and recruited 45 donors. This is so awesome. Special, special thanks to Cecille, Brian, Celina, Janelle and Jerald. You guys are so awesome!

I will be sure to post tomorrow evening with further updates. Have a happy, happy Monday everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Leo and Bernadette,

    I'm so sorry to hear about this set back. Thank you for keeping us posted...we are all standing by waiting to hear very positive news soon. As always, you are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Gina Taylor

    ReplyDelete